Griffin Funeral Service
For over 100 years Griffin Funeral Service Inc. has been serving Star City and surrounding areas.
The funeral home started in 1920 as Dixon Funeral Home, owned and operated by Ras and Helen Kraft Dixon. In 1928 Holderness and Thornhill Funeral Home purchased the funeral home from the Dixons. It later became Holderness South Funeral Home.
In 1955 Buie Funeral Home in Rison acquired the funeral Home and soon hired Grant Griffin as manager. After managing the funeral home for 18 years, Grant and his wife Joyce purchased the business in 1973.
In 1979 their son, Keith D. Griffin, completed mortuary school and returned to take over the family business. A new funeral home building was constructed in 1984, at its present location. The business became “Griffin Services Inc” in 1986. In 1988 Keith married Deborah Ramsey and they owned and operated the business.
Griffin Services Inc branched to Pine Bluff in 1999 with the purchase of Roselawn Cemetery. In 2000, a funeral home and crematory were added, becoming Southeast Arkansas’ only crematory.
In 2018, longtime Vice-President and General Manager James Hawkins who had worked for Griffin Services Inc for 35 years, along with his wife Marsha purchased the business. James and Marsha continue to own and operate Griffin Services Inc. a leader in funeral service, crematory and cemetery services in Southeast Arkansas.
Original Griffin Funeral Service building that was located on Jefferson Street behind the First Baptist Church.